Sunday, January 2, 2011

Cleanliness is Next to Goodliness

I have recently discovered an amazing thing.  Not discovered in the sense that I didn't know it before, but rather like someone who discovers religion - I had an amazing, eye-opening experience that I feel compelled to share with as many people as I can.

Here it is - I can have a person come to my house, clean it from top to bottom, and all I have to do is pay them a reasonable amount of money.  This is huge!  No longer do I have to be burdened with thoughts of an unclean bathroom!  Instead of stressing that I need to be cleaning something, I can relax and spend time with my husband, or just hang out and be very pregnant.

Now, I understand that a cleaning lady is not for everyone.  There are people who actually enjoy cleaning their own home.  There's my grandma, and, um... well, probably other people too.  And it does cost money - we're paying $25 an hour, and she was here for 3 hours, and is coming every other week.  So I don't get off totally scott-free; I will have to do a few things in between.  But it is just so worth it.  One less menial task to worry about, one less thing to stress about, one less exhausting task.

So, I am strongly recommending that everyone who is pregnant or has kids or is otherwise busy try out the cleaning lady.  You don't have to commit to someone forever - just say upfront that you're doing a trial run to see how it goes.  Also, you don't have to leave the house.  I thought you did, but if you just go hang out in a room that you don't want cleaned - or move rooms half way through, that works too.  I had to go out for the first hour, then I had a nap and she just let herself out - easy-peasy.

I can definitely see this being essential when the babies come - we'll just go downstairs while she cleans.  I don't even want to think about trying to keep a house clean with two brand new babies.  And Garratt will be working a lot, so he's not very useful in the cleaning department.  Actually, that's not different from when he's not working.  Anyhow, try the cleaning lady.  We found ours on kijiji.ca.

1 comment: