Monday, July 4, 2011

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - JK Rowling


I decided to kick off the list with an easy one - Harry Potter always makes for a nice light read.  I've read this book 2 or 3 times before, but I like going back to read it every once in a while, because for some reason I always forget the small details.  My favorite thing about this read-though was rediscovering the humor of the book.  I had forgotten, but the series started out really funny.  The Dursleys were written as kooky and foolish.  The whole bit about the mail being delivered and Uncle Vernon trying to stop Harry getting his letter - priceless.  I always thought it was a shame that that part wasn't included in the movie, but I guess they couldn't put everything in.

Another thing I for got about the beginning of the series - Hermione and Ron & Harry din't get along in the beginning.  It was the incident with the troll in the bathroom that brought them together as friends.

All things considered, I'm not sure that this is a literary masterpiece - the humorous tone at the beginning that's not carried through the rest of the book or series makes me think that Rowling didn't know exactly where she was going with this when she started out.  But it's a fun book, and sure to be children's classic for years to come.

One down, ninety-nine to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment