Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I Know This Much Is True - Wally Lamb

This book reminds me why I love literature.  It reminds me why I became and English teacher in the first place.  It shows the amazing power that literature has to communicate, to portray emotion, and to sustain culture.
The creation of characters in this book is amazing.  Wally Lamb made me feel closer to Dominick than I do to my own brother.  Its amazing that I loved him and hated him at the same time.  I felt bad for him, and rooted for him to get back together with Dessa.  I desperately wanted him to forgive Ray, and see that he did the best he knew how to do.
This book actually reminds me of something I saw on Oprah once - which is strange, because I don't often watch Oprah.  But years ago she had a guest that said that parents do the best they know how to do - and when they know better, they do better.  I know so many people who are bitter about the way their parents treated them when they were kids.  But as a parent, I really believe that we honestly do the best we can for our children.  That certainly doesn't make parents perfect, but there's no sense holding a grudge.
I read this book years ago, and I remember it was the first book I ever read that made me cry.  If you read it, it was at the part at the end about the flowers.  Check it out, and let me know if you cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment